Cremorne Aerial View

Cremorne Aerial View

Cremorne Aerial View is a suburb on the lower North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia 6 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of North Sydney Council.

Cremorne Junction is a locality within the suburb. Immediately adjacent to the suburb, to the south, is the small residential suburb of Cremorne Point. Cremorne is situated between Mosman and Neutral Bay.Cremorne was named after the Cremorne Gardens in London, a popular pleasure ground in England, which derives from Gaelic words meaning ‘boundary’ and ‘chieftain’. Cremorne, the Anglicisation of the Gaelic name Críoch Mhúrn,the Bounds of Mourne, was the home district of an Irish aristocrat who gave his name to his London residence in what became the Cremorne Gardens. Other sources claim that rather than referring to a Chieftain, it refers to the territorial area of an ancient tribal group in County Monaghan. The Cremorne Gardens, Sydney were established on the peninsula leading to Robertson Point in 1856, following theCremorne Gardens, Melbourne in 1853, just two of many such developments throughout Australia from the mid-nineteenth to early twentieth century. Although the Gardens closed in 1862, they gave their name both to the suburb at their location at Cremorne Point and to the suburb of Cremorne itself to the north.

Cremorne is a mainly residential area with its commercial area centred along Military Road, around Cremorne Junction. Cremorne has a supermarket, a high-rise hotel known as Park Regis Concierge Apartments, a number of restaurants and shops. The Cremorne Town Centre includes the Cremorne Hotel. The commercial zone is smaller than neighbouring Neutral Bay. Small companies lease office space in this area.Cremorne features an historic cinema, the Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace. In an Art Deco style, it features a Wurlitzer pipe-organ that is played at selected film screenings. The cinema was designed by G.N.Kenworthy and constructed in 1935, by Angelo Virgona. Its restoration was undertaken in 1987 by its new owner, television personality Mike Walsh.