Ballarat Railway Station

Ballarat Railway Station

 

The extensive building complex is of major architectural and historical significance to Ballarat with most of its original 19th-century features intact. Preserved historic features include the largest surviving interlocking mechanical swing gates in Victoria at Lydiard Street, signal boxes and goods sheds and it is one of only three stations in Victoria to have had a 19th-century train shed (along with Geelong and St Kilda).

Disused stations Ballarat East, Warrenheip, Bungaree and Gordon are located between Ballarat and Ballan.Ballarat railway station is located on the Serviceton line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the city of Ballarat opening on 11 April 1862.The extensive building complex is of major architectural and historical significance to Ballarat with most of its original 19th-century features intact. Preserved historic features include the largest surviving interlocking mechanical swing gates in Victoria at Lydiard Street, signal boxes and goods sheds and it is one of only three stations in Victoria to have had a 19th-century train shed (along with Geelong and St Kilda).Disused stations Ballarat East, Warrenheip, Bungaree and Gordon are located between Ballarat and Ballan.

On 13 December 1981 fire badly damaged the interiors of the 1888 section including the station-master’s office, waiting room, booking office, dining room and clock tower. All of these areas were later repaired and retained. Many of the original features were restored however some interiors including the booking office were subsequently modernised.

In 1983, the Public Transport Corporation proposed to demolish the railway gates at Lydiard Street.The City of Ballarat, National Trust and Historic Buildings Council responded with a campaign to save the gates. A clock was added to the tower in 1984.