Faculty of Veterinary Science University of Sydney

Faculty Veterinary Science University Sydney USYD

Faculty Veterinary Science University Sydney USYD is a constituent body. Initially established on 22 March 1910, it is the second oldest established veterinary school in Australia, the longest running veterinary school in Australia[2] and one of two universities offering veterinary degrees in New South Wales. The faculty offers a joint Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (BVetBiol/DVM), having retired the former Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc), and the Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience (BAnVetBioSc). The Faculty is established across both Camperdown and Camden campuses. The faculty is usually associated with the Roundhouse or Centaur as a logo and celebrated its centenary in 2010.

The J.D. Stewart Building is the first veterinary building built for the university and named after the faculty’s founder and first Dean, James Douglas Steward. Completed in 1913, three years after the faculty’s first students; it was granted heritage listing in 1976. Today, it houses the faculty office, Veterinary Society office and anatomy dissection labs.

The Faculty of Veterinary Science officially opened in 1910 with a student enrolment of 16 students and James Douglas Stewart appointed as Director. Without proper facilities, teaching was done in the then Fisher Library of the Main Quadrangle but relocated to the J.D. Stewart Building in 1913 after its completion.

In 1920, the Veterinary School obtained full faculty status with Professor J.D. Stewart as Dean. Under Stewart, student enrolments gradually increased from 25 in 1928 to over 100 in 1935. In 1930 and during WWII, Sydney University became solely responsible for veterinary education in Australia after temporary closures of both Melbourne University and Queenland University’s veterinary schools respectively.

In 1954, the acquisition of land by the university in Camden paved way for large animal teaching and subsequently the erection of the Evelyn Williams Building and R.M.C. Gunn Building in the Camperdown precinct. More recently new facilities include the Veterinary Science Conference Centre in 1998, the Valentine Charlton Cat Centre and the Canine Teaching Hospital.