Geelong Grammar School Clocktower

Geelong Grammar School

Geelong Grammar School is an independent Anglican co-educational boarding and day school. The school’s main campus is located in Corio on the northern outskirts of Geelong, Victoria, Australia, overlooking Corio Bay and Limeburners Bay.

Established in 1855 under the auspices of the Church of England, Geelong Grammar School has a non-selective enrolment policy and currently caters for approximately 1,500 students from Pre-school to Year 12, including 800 boarders from Years 5 to 12. The school’s fees are the most expensive in Australia based on a comparison of Year 12 student fees.In 2010 The Age reported that Geelong Grammar School ranked second among Australian schools based on the number of alumni who had received a top Order of Australia honour.

Geelong Grammar School is a member of the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference, the Junior School Heads Association of Australia (JSHAA), the Australian Boarding Schools’ Association (ABSA),the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA),the Association of Independent Schools of Victoria (AISV),and is a founding member of the Associated Public Schools of Victoria (APSV) The school is also a member of the G20 Schools Group. The school has offered the International Baccalaureate (IB) since February 1997.

The school was founded in 1855 as a private diocesan school with the blessing of Bishop Perry by the Venerable Theodore Stretch, Archdeacon of Geelong, with an initial enrollment of fourteen boys. The school grew rapidly and in 1857 it was assigned £5,000 of a government grant for church schools by Bishop Perry, the foundation stone was laid for its own buildings and it was transformed into a public school. The school closed due to financial difficulties in 1860, only to reopen in 1863 with John Bracebridge Wilson, who had been a master under the Revd George Vance, as head master.