Glen Line Building - Shanghai

Glen Line Building No 28 The Bund Shanghai

Glen Line Building No 28 The Bund Shanghai was built in 1922, it presently houses the Shanghai Culture, Radio, Film and TV Bureau. Designed by Tug Wilson of Palmer and Turner in a ‘free’ Renaissance style, it was generally regarded as one of the finest ever to be built in the International Settlement. The ground floor was occupied by the offices of the Glen Line Eastern Agencies, with the entrance in the centre of the Bund frontage consisting of an imposing portico with two granite columns on either side. The upper floors were rented out, whilst the tower of the building above the roofline provided accommodation for the Glen Line manager. Another imposing entrance, which was found on Beijing Road, led to one of the largest single office spaces, around 8,000 square feet, to be found in the city. Separate stairs were provided for the Chinese ‘coolie’ class where foreign feet would dare not tread except in the case of an emergency or a fire.