Trinity Grammar School Gates
Trinity Grammar School is an independent, Anglican, day and boarding school for boys, located in Sydney, Australia. The school's main campus is located in Summer Hill, with Preparatory Schools located in Strathfield and Lewisham. The school also operates a rural outdoor education campus known as Pine Bluff, near Bigga, New South Wales
Founded in 1913 by The Right Reverend G.A Chambers at Dulwich Hill, the school has a non-selective enrolment policy and currently caters for approximately 2,000 students from Pre-Kindergarten to Year 12, including 32 boarders from Years 7 to 12.
Trinity is affiliated with the International Boys' Schools Coalition (IBSC), the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA), The Independent Primary School Heads of Australia (IPSHA), which was formerly known as the Junior School Heads Association of Australia(JSHAA), the Australian Boarding Schools' Association (ABSA), and is a founding member of the Combined Associated Schools (CAS). The Head Master is a member of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (UK).
The School is governed by a Council (appointed by ordinance of the Diocese of Sydney), with the Archbishop of Sydney (Dr Peter Jensen) as the President. It currently has seventeen members,with six members being elected by the Diocese of Sydney, six being elected by the Clergy and three being nominated by the Old Trinitarians Union (OTU). The final two positions are voted on by the sitting members of the Council. Mr James Mills was Chairman of the School Council for thirty-three years, however, the School Council Retreat of March 2011 was his last official act as chairman, and while he is still a member of the School Council, Mr Richard Pegg is the current Chairman.
The first school photograph, 1913
The Right Reverend G.A Chambers, OBE, DD, subsequently Bishop of Central Tanganyika, founded the School in 1913 at Dulwich Hill, of which Parish - the Parish of Holy Trinity - he was then Rector. At its foundation, Trinity was a small parochial school with 29 boys enrolled. This number had reached 57 at the end of that year.
Having been appointed Warden of the School, Chambers' immediate task was to find a Headmaster. Thus, K.T. Henderson was appointed as the first Headmaster of Trinity Grammar in February 1913. In November 1915, the School formulated its motto, Detur Gloria Soli Deo, which may be translated from Latin to "Let Glory be Given to God Alone". The School colours were chosen to reflect the liturgical season of Trinity, namely green.
A property known as "The Towers" was purchased by the parish and used both as a School and Rectory. Later a larger property, "Hazeldene", was to be bought, also acting as both school and Rectory. The present site at Summer Hill, set in 8 hectares (20 acres) of land, was first occupied by the School in 1926, during the Head Mastership of G.E. Weeks.
By 1942 the prospects for Trinity were grim and it was decided that it should be closed. As a last attempt to save the School, the Council appointed J. Wilson Hogg as Headmaster in 1944. By the time Wilson Hogg retired in 1974, Trinity was flourishing and had become one of the leading Independent schools in NSW.
 Trinity Grammar School Preparatory School
Trinity Preparatory School, 1930s
Sir Philip Sydney Jones built "Llandilo House" in 1878 on a large property bounded by The Boulevarde, Albyn Road, Kingsland Road and Wakeford Road and lived there until his death in 1918. The property was then subdivided and a group of Strathfield residents headed by Rev. Wheaton, a Congregational minister, bought the house for a school, which was known as Strathfield Grammar School.
In 1926 it was offered to Trinity Grammar School and bought by them, but Strathfield Grammar School and Trinity Grammar School continued to function as separate establishments until 1932, when the two became Trinity Grammar School.
From 1932 until 1937 all teaching (except some Science) was done at Strathfield and boys were taken by bus to Summer Hill for sport. The boarders lived at Summer Hill. 1938 saw a division, the Senior School returning to Summer Hill and Strathfield being established as the Preparatory School.
The Preparatory School now has over 500 pupils from PK-6.
 Junior school
In 1946 the then Headmaster, Mr James Wilson Hogg, introduced a Junior School to the Summer Hill Campus and commenced with 36 boys in four classrooms. The Junior School, in various arrangements of classes and with up to 78 boys continued at Summer Hill until 1956, when all the of the primary school boys were relocated to the Preparatory School at Strathfield.
In 2000 the Junior School was re-established by the Headmaster, Mr G. Milton Cujes, on the Summer Hill campus as a gesture of good faith to the families who had committed to the Southern Campus, a venture that until this date has not been realised. The Junior School recommenced with 72 boys in four classes from Year 3 to 6. The classes were located in temporary accommodation between No.1 Oval and No.3 Oval.
In 2002, the School Council determined that the Junior School would become a permanent part of the educational profile at the Summer Hill Campus for the foreseeable future.
In 2003 the Junior School moved to permanent accommodation in the old Boarding House, and was formally recommissioned in a ceremony whose guests included Messrs Neil Buckland and Neil Demeril, both of whom had been students at the Summer Hill Junior School in the 1940s.
In 2006, the Junior School expanded to include an Infants Campus, based in Lewisham, specifically for children from Pre-School to Year 2 age. The site for this development was the land on which the St Thomas Beckett Primary School had been previously located. This portion of the school began with 12 students, and now has over 50 students.
Having received planning permission from Ashfield council, the School has proceeded to demolish several houses on Seaview Street, creating a space in which the new Junior School is currently being built. It is thought that this development will end sometime in 2012, with the Junior School being completely removed from the old Boarding House and that space used for other purposes.
1913 Kenneth Thorn Henderson
1913 – 1916 William G. Hilliard
1916 Arthur Alston
1917 – 1922 Frank Archer
1923 – 1928 George Edward Weeks
1929 – 1934 William G. Hilliard
1935 – 1937 Percival William Stephenson
1938 – 1942 Vernon S. Murphy
1944 – 1974 James Wilson Hogg
1975 – 1996 Roderick Ian West
1996 – George Milton Cujes
The School consists of four separate but closely linked establishments:
A Senior (Years 10 to 12) and Middle (Years 7 to 9) School for day and boarding students, as well as a Junior School (Years 3 to 6), located at Summer Hill.
Preparatory and Pre-Kindergarten sections (Pre-School to Year 6) at Strathfield.
Preparatory and Pre-Kindergarten sections (Pre-School to Year 2) at Lewisham.
An Outdoor Education Centre at the Pine Bluff Campus, located near Bigga, New South Wales.
Attempts were made in the early 2000s towards establishing a campus in Sydney's southern suburbs. Such plans have been postponed indefinitely by the School.
The Trinity Grammar School senior campus is located in Summer Hill, and features a mix of old and new buildings and facilities.
Some current facilities of the school include:
The School Chapel
A quadrangle forms the centrepiece of the grounds, with a chapel;
The Founders Building, containing a drama theatre, film and sound editing studios, computer lab classrooms, interview rooms, staff common room, English department and the Arthur Holt Library;
A gymnasium consisting of a fitness and weights room, three basketball courts and squash court, and a 25 metre swimming pool;
The School of Science, housing laboratories and classrooms it also has a greenhouse on the roof;
The Design Centre, adjacent to the School of Science, housing art classrooms, design and technology rooms and computer labs;
The Delmar Gallery, the School's official gallery, suitably situated next to the Design Centre;
The Roderick West School of Music Building, containing a choir room, orchestra room, band room, music-composing computer labs, a recording studio and 30 music studios;
The New School, housing the Mathematics department, Geography department and Economics department;
The James Wilson Hogg Assembly Hall, capable of seating the entire Senior School and used for formal ceremonies and assemblies;
Three sporting fields (one containing a new 300m track, new basketball courts and field) and an off-campus tennis centre;
Two underground carparks
New Junior School and Aquatic Centre are currently under construction (Planned To Open By 2013 - Year of School's Centenary)
 School Song and Prayer
Collectable Cigarette card featuring the Trinity colours and crest, c.1920s
The school song is Detur Gloria Soli Deo, and is sung to the tune "Stuttgart" No.200 in the Australian Hymn Book
Detur Gloria Soli deo,
Let the prayer triumphant ring;
Father, Son and Holy spirit,
Trinity of thee we sing.
Trinitarians give the glory,
In a song of praise and joy;
For our School and her great story,
Glory give to God alone.
Students past and those now present,
Those the future years shall bring,
Detur Gloria Soli Deo,
This our own great anthem sing.
The school prayer is read during quadrangle assembly every morning, with a single leader reciting the verse before the rest of the school affirms it in the traditional Christian manner.
Heavenly father, we ask your blessing
Upon all those who work in and for this School.
Grant as faith to grow spiritually, strength
To grow bodily and wisdom to grow intellectually,
Through Jesus Christ our Lord.
 House system
Student's at the Summer Hill campus are divided into sixteen houses, named after significant facets of the school's history. One of the houses is reserved for boarders (School House), although non-boarders can now be placed into this house to supplement the numbers. Boys are usually put into their family house, the same house as their father or grandfather or brother.
Each year the different houses compete for the House Cup in a variety of activities such as swimming, track and field, touch football, indoor soccer, chess, debating, music, academic, cricket, fitness challenge, dodgeball, tug of war and quad challenge. Through these activities houses are awarded points, and at the completion of the school year the house with the most points wins the Cup. In the case of significant victories, such as winning the Swimming Carnival or Track and Field, each house gives three cheers (in quick succession, clockwise around the Quadrangle) for the victorious house, with the victorious house giving three final cheers for the School. These cheers are led by the House Officers (often aided by Prefects), who typically deliver the three cheers with as much volume as can be mustered. Young House is the current Cock House (the winner of the previous year's House Cup.) The senior school is divided into sixteen houses, as follows:
Dulwich (Sky Blue)
Kerrigan (Lime Green)
School (Dark Blue)
Weeks (Mid Blue)
Wilson Hogg (Grey)
Wynn Jones (Bishop Pink)
Trinity offers both the Higher School Certificate (HSC) and International Baccalaureate (IB) program for Year 11 and 12 students. Boys in the HSC and IB, whilst able to interact with each other through the House/Pastoral and Sport/Curriculum systems, are taught separately, due to the differing nature of the two curriculums. In 2007, the Primary Years Program (PYP) was launched as an initiative to prepare both Junior School and Preparatory School students for the IB. The School is currently in the second phase of accreditation as a PYP school. Despite its relative success, however, the Middle Years Program (MYP) has not been introduced into the Middle School. Both the PYP and the MYP are specifically designed for an introduction into the IB, and, due to the popularity of the IB among students, there is a chance that the MYP will be brought into the Middle School in years to come, although the School has neither confirmed nor denied this.
Trinity Grammar School is a member of the Combined Associated Schools (CAS), and through this association competes with other members of the CAS as well as ISA and GPS member schools.
Sporting activities offered include:
Track and Field (Athletics)
The School offers a range of academic, vocational, sporting and co-curricular activities and groups, including:
An Australian Army Cadet Unit
A Symphony Orchestra, Symphonic Wind/Marching Band, Big Band, and Chapel Choir, as well as several other smaller musical groups.
A Debating Society
The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme
An Archaeological Society
Specialist Sporting Groups
Several groups dedicated to Visual Art
Sports Experience and RAW Challenge
A Fishing Club
Woolloommooloo Gates - The Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney
The Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney, Australia, are the most central of the three major botanical gardens open to the public in Sydney. (the others are the Mount Annan Botanic Garden and the Mount Tomah Botanic Garden). The park, managed by the same trust as The Domain adjoining it, is free to access and open every day of the year.
The Botanic Gardens are situated overlooking Farm Cove, directly east of the Sydney Opera House, Circular Quay and Macquarie Street. On the southern edge the Cahill Expressway borders it and on the eastern edge, Art Gallery road. It is 30 hectares in area.
Pond and gardens
Grey Headed Flying Foxes roosting in the botanical gardens
The first farm on the Australian continent, at Farm Cove, was established in 1788 by Governor Phillip. Although that farm failed, the land has been in constant cultivation since that time, as ways were found to make the relatively infertile soils more productive.
The Botanic Gardens were founded on this site by Governor Macquarie in 1816 as part of the Governor’s Domain. Australia's long history of collection and study of plants began with the appointment of the first Colonial Botanist, Charles Fraser, in 1817. The Botanic Gardens is thus the oldest scientific institution in Australia and, from the earliest days, has played a major role in the acclimatisation of plants from other regions.
After a succession of colonial botanists and superintendents, including the brothers Richard and Allan Cunningham, both also early explorers, John Carne Bidwill was appointed as the first Director in 1847. He was succeeded the following year by Charles Moore, a Scotsman who had trained in the Botanic Gardens of Trinity College, Dublin. Moore, Director for 48 years (1848–96), did much to develop the Botanic Gardens in their modern form. He boldly tackled the problems of poor soil, inadequate water and shortage of funds to develop much of the Gardens in the form we see today. The Palm Grove, in the heart of the Royal Botanic Gardens, is a reminder of his skill and foresight, as is the reclaimed land behind the Farm Cove seawall which added a significant area to the Royal Botanic Gardens.
In 1862 Sydney’s first zoo was opened within the Botanic Gardens and remained there until 1883, when most of it was transferred to Moore Park. During these years much of the remnant natural vegetation of the surrounding Domain was removed and planted as parkland. The Moreton Bay Figs, one of the major elements of this planting, continue to dominate the landscape.
In 1879 a substantial area of the Domain, south of the Government House stables (now the Conservatorium of Music), was taken for the building of the Garden Exhibition Palace. This building, ‘an outstanding example of Victorian architectural exuberance, with towers and turrets deployed around a giant dome 100 feet (30 m) in diameter surmounted by a lantern 200 feet (61 m) above the ground’, dominated Sydney’s skyline and covered over two hectares. The International Exhibition held in the Palace attracted over one million visitors. However, the building was destroyed by fire in 1882 and the land, now known as the Palace Garden, was added to the Botanic Gardens.
Towards the end of his time as Director, Moore, together with Ernst Betche, published the Handbook of the Flora of New South Wales, further establishing the Botanic Gardens as a centre for the science of botany.
Moore was succeeded by Joseph Henry Maiden who, during his 28-year term, added much to Moore’s maturing landscape. He organised the construction of a new herbarium building, opened in 1901 (today part of the Anderson Building), and made major improvements to the Domain. However, the Botanic Gardens suffered from loss of staff positions during the First World War and, in the depression of the 1930s, the position of Director was lost. Both the Herbarium and the living collections languished. From 1945 Robert Anderson worked to reunify the two. In 1959 the title ‘Royal’ was granted and the Herbarium and Royal Botanic Gardens were administratively reunified under the title Royal Botanic Gardens. Knowles Mair (1965–70) achieved reunification and the Royal Botanic Gardens began its return to eminence.
Dr John Beard (1970–72) and Dr Lawrence Johnson (1972–85) further developed the organisation, and the Robert Brown Building was opened in 1982 to house the Herbarium. The breadth of activities increased over these decades with the formation of the Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens; educational and ecological programs; the Flora of New South Wales; the scientific journals Telopea and Cunninghamia and programs of computerised documentation of both the living and herbarium collections.
Other initiatives, the Mount Tomah Botanic Garden (1987), Mount Annan Botanic Garden (1988) and the Tropical Centre (1990) glasshouses, were opened to the public after Professor Carrick Chambers became the ninth Director in 1986. The Royal Botanic Gardens celebrated its 175th anniversary in 1991. During Professor Chambers’ ten years as Director, the Rose Garden (1988), the Fernery (1993), the Herb Garden (1994), and the Oriental Garden (1997) were opened and the Rare and Threatened Species Garden (1998) was commenced to further enrich the experience of visitors. The Royal Botanic Gardens Foundation was established to seek a wider range of support for future needs.
In 2003 the business name of the organisation, comprising the three Botanic Gardens and the Domain and administered by the Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust, was changed from the Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney to the Botanic Gardens Trust. The present Executive Director is Dr Tim Entwisle. David Mabberley was appointed as Executive Director in April 2011 and begins in the role in August 2011.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney
 Flying foxes
The Royal Botanic Gardens are home to a colony of over 22,000 Grey-headed Flying Foxes, a large species of fruitbat. The management of the Gardens holds the bats responsible for killing dozens of trees and, in May 2010, received approval for a plan to move the colony elsewhere.
In February 2011, a Federal Court ruling gave the Royal Botanic Gardens and Domain Trust the go-ahead to play recorded sounds in an attempt to drive the bats from the gardens. The sounds, which include engines starting and metal pounding, are scheduled for implementation in May 2011 for two weeks.[