Gowan Brae The Kings School Parramatta

The King’s School Parramatta

The King’s School Parramatta is an independent Christian, day and boarding school for boys, located in North Parramatta in the western suburbs of Sydney, Australia. Founded in 1831, it is Australia’s oldest independent school. The School is a founding member of the nine “Great Public Schools” of New South Wales and is situated on a 148-hectare (365-acre) campus.

In the geographical heart of Sydney, the School has about 1,500 students from kindergarten to Year 12 and about 430 boarders from Years 5–12, making it one of the largest boarding schools in Australia. It is Australia’s oldest boarding school.The school is affiliated with the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference, the Association of Heads of independent schools of Australia (AHISA), the Junior School Heads Association of Australia (JSHAA),and the Australian Boarding Schools’ Association (ABSA).[2] It is a G20 School and is a founding member of the Athletic Association of the Great Public Schools of New South Wales (AAGPS).

In 2010, The Age reported that The King’s School ranked equal-seventh among Australian schools based on the number of alumni who had received a top Order of Australia honour.History In January 1830, the archdeacon of New South Wales, William Grant Broughton, devised a plan for the establishment of grammar schools in the colony under the governorship of Sir Ralph Darling. The Duke of Wellington assisted in securing royal patronage, the text of which stated that with the authority of King George IV such schools would be named “The King’s Schools”. It is said, although no documentation exists, that royal sanction was granted by King William IV. Two schools were opened in 1832: the first in Pitt Street, Sydney, the other in George Street, Parramatta, 25 kilometres (16 mi) inland. The former, opened in January, closed eight months later after the death of its first headmaster, while the Parramatta campus remained open under the stewardship of the Reverend Robert Forrest, who was appointed headmaster in 1831.