London Court Arcade Perth

London Court Arcade Perth

London Court Arcade Perth is a three- and four-level open-roofed shopping arcade located in the central business district in Perth, Western Australia.It was built in 1937 by wealthy gold financier and businessman, Claude de Bernalesfor residential and commercial purposes. The arcade runs between the Hay Street Mall and St Georges Terrace and is considered an important tourist attraction in the City of Perth. It received a National Trust of Australia classification in 1978 and was recorded in the Register of the National Estate in 1982.[1] The Heritage Council of Western Australia included it in the State Heritage Register in 1996.London Court is a three- and four-level open-roofed shopping arcade located in the central business district in Perth, Western Australia. It was built in 1937 by wealthy gold financier and businessman, Claude de Bernalesfor residential and commercial purposes. The arcade runs between the Hay Street Mall and St Georges Terrace and is considered an important tourist attraction in the City of Perth. It received a National Trust of Australia classification in 1978 and was recorded in the Register of the National Estate in 1982.The Heritage Council of Western Australia included it in the State Heritage Register in 1996.The arcade is situated on land which was a previously a collection of alleys known as Gun Alley and owned by former Mayor of Perth Thomas Molloy. Claude de Bernales acquired the properties from Molloy in February 1936 for the Australian Machinery and Investment Co. Ltd for the sum of £75,000. The arcade was conceived as being a continuation of the recently completed Plaza Arcade to the north, giving shoppers and commuters a continuous retail thoroughfare from the Perth Railway Station through to The Esplanade and the Swan River.