780 West End Avenue New York is one of the city’s loveliest apartment buildings and probably its most attractive and elegant white-brick building, this 13-story building was erected in 1912 and converted to a condominium in 1988.
It was designed by George and Edward Blum, architects who also designed 277, 610, 760, and 838 West End Avenue, 555, 791, 875, 940 and 1075 Park Avenue, 1435 Lexington Avenue, 676, 720 and 730 Riverside Drive, among many other Manhattan apartment buildings
In their fine book, “George & Edward Blum, Texture and Design in New York Apartment House Architecture,” (The Friends of Terra Cotta Press, 1993), Andrew S. Dolkart and Susan Tunick note that this building was erected the same year as the Evanston at 610 West End Avenue that the Blums designed for George F. Johnson Jr., and Leopold Kahn. The Blums also designed the Admaston apartment building at 259 West 89th Street the same year for Johnson and Kahn. The Johnson-Kahn Company had previously built the Hendrick Hudson Apartments on Riverside Drive at 110th Street and the adjoining annex and the authors suggest that Edward Blum “may have been the designer” of these two major buildings for the architect of record, William L. Rouse.
780 West End Avenue is a spectacular and grand Art Nouveau prewar condominium building situated on the southeast corner of 98th Street and West End Avenue. Designed by architects Edward and George Blum and built in 1912, 780 West End Avenue displays an exquisite white-brick façade with terracotta ornamentation.780 West End Avenue is in a prime location along the avenue with Riverside Park just one block to the west, with all the conveniences of restaurants, shopping and services on Broadway just one block to the east. For the convenience of transportation, the location cannot be beat. The 96th Street subway station sits just around the corner along with the reliable 96th Street crosstown bus.