Perth Railway Station is the largest station on the Transperth network serving the central business district of Perth, Western Australia. It serves as an interchange between the Armadale, Fremantle, Joondalup,Mandurah and Midland lines as well as Transwa’s Australind service.
The foundation stone for the George Temple-Poole designed Perth station was laid on 10 May 1880, with the station opening on 1 March 1881 part of the Eastern Railway from Fremantle to Guildford. It had one through platform with terminating bay platforms at either end. The Neoclassical style building had a second storey added in 1894 that became the headquarters of the Western Australian Government Railwaysuntil 1976. A planned third storey and clocktower were never built.[ The building has been renovated and expanded numerous times since being built, as well as the forecourt entrance area.
The station was the centre of the Western Australian Government Railways system with most regional trains originating from the station. A collection of freight and administrative offices and tearooms were part of the railway station complex.The railway building has at times housed various commercial operations as well as police offices. The WA Craft Council was a tenant in the 1980s.For a considerable length of time the forecourt area was used for car parking. This is now very limited except for official vehicles. The building had the Barrack Street and William Street bridges as limiting factors to its development, and in its current state is connected to both bridges by escalators and walkways, though the William Street entrance is fenced off.