Glenleigh Queenwood School

Glenleigh Queenwood School Sydney

Glenleigh Queenwood School Sydney: During World War II, twenty Queenwood students were evacuated to board at Glenleigh, a property near Mulgoa, out of Penrith. The second campus operated from February to September in 1942 when the threat of Japanese invasion was at its highest. Students remembered their Glenleigh days with great fondness, for although lessons continued, a holiday spirit prevailed.

Queenwood is an independent, non-denominational, Christian day school, located in the suburb of Mosman, on the Lower North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.Established in 1925 by Miss Grace Lawrance (a former Wenona student) and named after the Queenwood Ladies’ College in East Sussex, Queenwood has a non-selective enrolment policy and currently caters for approximately 1000 students from Kindergarten to Year 12.The school is affiliated with the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA),the Junior School Heads Association of Australia (JSHAA), the Alliance of Girls’ Schools Australasia, and is a member of the Association of Heads of Independent Girls’ Schools (AHIGS).

Queenwood was established by Grace Lawrance, assisted by Beatrice Rennie, as a private, independent, day and boarding school for girls, on 21 September 1925.The two women had met in 1918, at the Glennie Memorial School in Toowoomba, Queensland, where Lawrance was Principal, and Rennie first assistant-mistress. They travelled to England in 1921, where they visited many of the best girls’ schools. Both women resigned from the Glennie in 1925, with the intention of founding a school in Sydney. They chose a large, old house at 47 Mandalong Road, Mosman. Their entrepreneurial courage was remarkable since neither enjoyed perfect health.The school was named “Queenwood” after the now defunct Queenwood Ladies’ College at Eastbourne, in East Sussex, on the south coast of England, which had been founded by Miss Lawrance’s mother in 1871, and which was similarly located on a hill overlooking the sea. The site at Mandalong Road was chosen because of its view over Balmoral Beach and its northeasterly aspect. As Queenwood grew, the school expanded to a second site at Mandalong Road.