Prince Alfred College Adelaide is a private independent, day and boarding school for boys, located on Dequetteville Terrace, Kent Town – near the centre of Adelaide, South Australia. Prince Alfred College was established in 1869 by the Methodist Church of Australasia, which amalgamated with other Protestant churches in 1977 to form the Uniting Church in Australia.
The school has enrolment of some 1,100 students from reception and educational year groups one to twelve (ages 2 to 18), including some 140 boarders from years seven to twelve.Prince Alfred College launched its own kindergarten, Little Princes, in 1999, which was renamed Princes ELC in 2009.The college claims to have the largest “Old Scholars” organisation (by membership) in the southern hemisphere.Senior students study to achieve the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE), or undertake the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma programme as an alternative, with some achieving IB marks of 44 and 45 out of 45 in recent years.
Prince Alfred College was named after Prince Alfred during his visit to Adelaide in 1867. Prince Alfred was one of the four sons of Queen Victoria and her husband Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. The school has attracted many royal visitors since its foundation, including Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip in 1954.The founders of PAC were determined that the religious traditions of John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, should be indoctrinated in the school. Young Methodist men of the colony and PAC were encouraged to live disciplined, hard working and predominantly Christian lives, even though they were mocked facing society’s temptations.
By the year of PAC’s foundation in 1869, the population of Adelaide was estimated to be the second highest in the continent.No South Australian country town, however, had a population greater than 10,000. At the same time, nearly all the land in the city of Adelaide, laid out by Colonel Light, had been occupied. Across the parklands that surrounded the city were well established residential suburbs such as Kent Town and Norwood to the east and industrial precincts such as Hindmarsh and Thebarton to the west. The suburb of Kent Town, along with the city itself, formed a consolidated urban area in which the school was located