Selborne Chambers Sydney

Selborne Chambers Sydney

Selborne Chambers Sydney is located in Phillip Street next to the Supreme Court of New South Wales.

Phillip Street is a street in the central business district of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. While the street runs from King Street in the south to Circular Quay in the north, the present street is effectively in two sections, separated by Chifley Square. Other cross streets include Martin Place, Bridge Street, and Bent Street.

On 22 Octobe in 1936 the New South Wales Bar Association was incorporated and the first meeting of the Council of the New South Wales Bar Association took place. The Memorandum and Articles of Association noted that the Bar Association would make suggestions on legislation, court rules, procedure and business. The memorandum also noted that a library would be established together with reading, meeting, and dining rooms, and power to undertake law reporting, printing, publishing and bookbinding.On 22 October 1936 the New South Wales Bar Association was incorporated and the first meeting of the Council of the New South Wales Bar Association took place. The Memorandum and Articles of Association noted that the Bar Association would make suggestions on legislation, court rules, procedure and business. The memorandum also noted that a library would be established together with reading, meeting, and dining rooms, and power to undertake law reporting, printing, publishing and bookbinding.The first person appointed to the rank of queen’s counsel (QC) was John Hubert Plunkett, on 6 June 1856. The last was Peter Michael Jacobson on 1 December 1992. Since 1993 they have been known as senior counsel (SC)The Francis Forbes Society for Australian Legal History aims to bring together scholars, lawyers and the general public interested in legal history. It sponsors lectures, competitions, research projects and a variety of seminars and discussion groups.