St Vincent's Hospital Darlinghurst

St Vincent’s Hospital Darlinghurst

St Vincent’s Hospital Darlinghurst was established by the Sisters of Charity in 1815. The hospital is one of the leading private and public hospitals in the eastern suburbs of Sydney and is held in high esteem.

St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney is located in the inner city suburb of Darlinghurst. Though funded and integrated into the New South Wales state public health system it is operated by St Vincent’s Health Australia. It is affiliated with the University of New South Wales Medical School.

It was originally established in 1857 by five Irish Sisters of Charity, who had migrated to Sydney in 1838 with a mission to help the poor and disadvantaged. Some of their early work included helping victims of the 1844influenza outbreak, and prisoners and their families of the nearby Darlinghurst Gaol. Three of the hospital’s founding sisters had trained as professional nurses in France, and they brought their knowledge to the colony, establishing a hospital that was free to all people, but especially for the poor. The original site for the hospital was in the neighbouring suburb of Potts Point. As demand grew, the establishment was moved to its present location in Darlinghurst in 1870. The hospital celebrated its 150th birthday in 2007.

The main building that exists today in Victoria Street was designed by Wardell and Denning and built in 1921 in the Inter-War Free Classical style.

Forming part of the St Vincent’s Local Hospital Network,[2] the hospital is now a facility of St Vincent’s Health Australia. The hospital was previously administered by the Sisters of Charity, which transferred ownership to St Vincent’s Health Australia which now operates the health and hospital services of the Sisters of Charity.[3] St Vincent’s Health Australia is a part of Mary Aikenhead Ministries.St Vincent’s is a leading medical, surgical and research facility.