Studio Building 44 West 77th Street, New York is a 1907 Neo-Gothic masterpiece situated on the open and airy block immediately south of the renowned American Museum of Natural History between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue. Designed by Architects Herbert Spencer Harde and R. Thomas Short, known also for designing the highly ornate Alwyn Court on West 58th Street, this luxurious co-op stands 14 stories tall.
The Studio Building is owned by Park 44 Corp. and contains 32 large units, all with oversized and articulated windows that face the leafy and expansive grounds of the Museum. 1900s. Nearly all units have fireplaces and many contain double height sunken salons, a reminder that the building was initially commissioned by the city of New York to house luxurious and oversized artist’s studios, thus the name.
The full-service amenities include full-time doorman stationed in an impressive lobby. In addition, the building contains private storage, a playroom, a central laundry room, and is pet friendly. Financing is 50%.The building is less than a block from Central Park and close to many services, restaurants and boutiques on Columbus Avenue. It’s also convenient to buses and subways.
The design of Manhattan apartment buildings has been dominated by relatively few architects.Schwartz & Gross were known for many Riverside Drive buildings; George Blum for many West End Avenue Buildings; Emery Roth & Sons for many Central Park West buildings, J. E. R. Carpenter and Rosario Candela were noted for their Italian-Renaissance-palazzo-style buildings of the 1920’s and 1930’s on Fifth and Park Avenues; Philip Birnbaum for many of the city’s “white-brick” buildings; Costas Kondylis for many glitzy “modern” towers; Davis Brody for their many interesting large chamfered towers; and Harde & Short for a few masterpieces such as the highly decorative Alwyn Court on West 58th Street and this building.