Sydney Cricket Ground Lady Stand

Sydney Cricket Ground Ladies Stand

Sydney Cricket Ground Ladies Stand was built 1896 – Members’ seating was also used for general public admission during events with low attendance.

The Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) is a sports stadium in Sydney, Australia. It is used for Test cricket, One Day International cricket, Twenty20 cricket and Australian rules football, as well as some rugby league footballand rugby union matches. It is the home ground for the New South Wales Blues cricket team, the Sydney Sixers of the Big Bash League and the Sydney Swans Australian Football League club. It is owned and operated by the SCG Trust that also manages the Sydney Football Stadium located next door. Until the 44,000 seat Football Stadium was opened in 1988, the Sydney Cricket Ground was the major rugby league venue in Sydney.

In 1811, the Governor of New South Wales, Lachlan Macquarie, established the second Sydney Common, about one-and-a-half miles wide and extending south from South Head Rd (now Oxford St) to where Randwick Racecourse is today. Part sandhills, part swamp and situated on the south-eastern fringe of the city, it was used as a rubbish dump in the 1850s and not regarded as an ideal place for sport. In 1851, part of the Sydney Common south of Victoria Barrackswas granted to the British Army for use as a garden and cricket ground for the soldiers. Its first user was the 11th North Devonshire Regiment which flattened and graded the southern part of the rifle range adjacent to the Barracks.

In the next couple of years, the teams from Victoria Barracks combined themselves into a more permanent organisation and called themselves the Garrison Club. The ground therefore became known as the Garrison Ground when it was first opened in February 1854.