Sydney Dental Hospital

Sydney Dental Hospital

The Sydney Dental Hospital at 2-28 Chalmers St, Surry Hills, is one of the best examples of the interwar Functionalist style in Sydney CBD with strip windows in surrounds and strong horizontal lines demonstrating key characteristics of the style. The original Dental Hospital on this site was built in 1910. By the 1930s it could no longer meet demands.The new Dental Hospital was designed by Stephenson, Meldrum and Turner in 1937 and was built by H. G. Whittle.

 

Sydney Dental Hospital is a hospital in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. It is situated between Chalmers Street and Elizabeth Street opposite the entrance to Central Station.SDH provides specialist treatment to people referred statewide for Paediatric Dentistry, Orthodontics, Periodontics, Oral Surgery and Diagnostic Imaging, Prosthodontics, Endodontics, Oral Pathology, Oral and Maxillo-facial Surgery andImplantology services. The Special Care Dental Unit provides care to those with chronic mental health conditions and the elderly.[1]

The Sydney Dental Hospital, formerly “The United Dental Hospital of Sydney” was founded in 1905 under the Dental Hospital Union Act of 1904. Originally located in George Street the State Government provided funds for the new hospital in Chalmers Street and the building was completed in 1912. The Sydney Dental Hospital recently celebrated serving the community for 110 years.

The building that now houses the Sydney Dental Hospital was opened in 1940 for the dual purpose of providing modern and efficient treatment for the impoverished as well as a functional training ground for dental students at the University of Sydney.

The Sydney Dental Hospital, the only dental hospital of its kind in NSW, is a centre of excellence that throughout its history has been a key driver in shaping oral health and dental care in Australia. For 110 years it has been a home to employees, students and most importantly, patients.