Wesley College University Sydney is a Protestant co-residential college of 250 students within the University of Sydney. The College occupies a site on the main campus of the University of Sydney and was built on a sub-grant of Crown Land. Wesley is one of six on-campus colleges at the University of Sydney which provide accommodation. In 1923 the college averaged 45 students. Originally the College accommodated only men but when women were admitted in 1969 Wesley became the first of the colleges within the University of Sydney to become co-educational. Its current head is Lisa Sutherland, who has held the position since 2010.
Wesley College University Sydney Chapel owns a Latin version of the Bible dated to 1479, which may be the oldest bible in Australia.
The Edwardian Gothic main wing of Wesley dates from 1917 and was designed by the winner of a competition Byera Hadley (1872–1937), an English-born architect who had emigrated to Australia in 1887. Construction of the design was expected to cost £20,000. The brown face brick and sandstone building originally consisted of the central wing, dining room, chapel and Master’s residence. It has a steep slate roof and is topped with a copper flèche. The interiors are detailed in a neo-Gothic style with polished timber staircases and wainscotting, leadlight windows and quatrefoil plaster ceilings. The Chapel was paid for by benefactor Frederick Cull.
In 1922 the building’s original design by Hadley was completed with the opening of the Callaghan Wing.Alan Dwyer designed the Cecil Purser Wing in 1943 and in 1960 Brewster Murray added the Wylie Wing. Further extensions were added in 1965 when Fowell, Mansfield & Maclurcan increased the capacity of the Chapel and in 1969 when the same firm designed the Tutors Wing.Every year, Wesley men compete for the Rawson Cup, which was presented to the Sydney University Sports Union in 1906 by Admiral Sir Harry Rawson, and is the height of male intercollegiate sport.