The Weld Club Perth

The Weld Club Perth

The Weld Club Perth is a gentlemen’s club in Perth, Western Australia, founded in 1871 by members of the establishment of Perth. It was named after the then Governor of Western Australia, Sir Frederick Weld who was the first patron. The club building was designed by Talbot Hobbs and constructed in 1892.

The club was involved in raising teams in cricket in the 1890s.It is situated at the corner of the Esplanade and Barrack Streets in Perth, immediately across the street from Stirling Gardens. The building has been appraised for conservation work.It is listed in Heritage lists, and has a number of histories of the club and building published.

According to the Australian Heritage Register, “While other private clubs were formed in Perth in the 1890s .. the Weld Club was the most prestigious and exclusive”.

Memmbers, shortly after the new premises opened, in 1892, shows that 13 out of the 15 members of the Legislative Council and 21 out of the 30 members of the Legislative Assembly belonged to the Club, including the President of the Legislative Council, the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly and all the members of Sir John Forrest’s Ministry.”

“It really was a mark of respectability to be admitted into the club,” said Richard Offen.

The benefits of membership, according to the register, included accommodation whilst in town, various recreational activities: billiards, reading, croquet, bowls and tennis and they “could sail on the Swan River or, when visiting Britain, rent a luxurious house boat, The Golden Grasshopper, in which to sail down the Thames”.