Wylie’s Baths Coogee is a tidal pool near Coogee Beach, in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, noted for holding the first Australian Swimming Championships and for being one of the first swimming baths for mixed gender swimming in Australia. Wylie’s Baths was built in 1907 by Henry Wylie. Henry Wylie was the father of Mina Wylie who, along with Fanny Durack, were Australia’s first female Olympic swimming representatives, and Australia’s first woman gold and silver medallists respectively.From 1959 to 1978, the baths were called Sunset Pool.Wylie’s Baths is run by a management committee established in 1978 comprising representatives from South Maroubra Dolphins Winter Swimming Club, Randwick & Coogee Amateur Swimming Club,the Coogee-Randwick RSL Diggers Swimming Club and theCoogee Surf Life Saving Club]The baths are classified by the National Trust of Australia.
Wylie’s Baths Coogee is one of Sydney’s most recognisable and beautiful ocean tidal pools.Wylie’s is located just a few hundred metres south of Coogee Beach in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, sitting right below the magnificent Coastal Walkway. The Baths has sweeping 180 degree views of the Pacific Ocean and overlooks the famous Wedding Cake Island.
Henry Alexander Wylie, a champion long distance and underwater swimmer, established Wylie’s Baths in 1907. Wylie’s daughter Wilhelmina, along with Fanny Durack, were Australia’s first two female Olympic swimming representatives .The first gold and silver swimming medals for a women’s event in the history of the Olympics went to Durack and Wylie respectively.
On 5th November 1959, the lease for the Baths was transferred to Mr Desmond Selby, who renamed the Baths “Sunset Pool”. In the mid 1970s, storms and high seas damaged the baths, resulting in their temporary closure. In 1978 they were reopened under the control of Randwick Council and renamed Wylie’s Baths. From that time the coordination of the Baths was undertaken by a Community Management Committee.