Concord Hospital was established in November 1940 as the 113th Australian General Hospital. In February 1941 the Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel William Wood and a nucleus of staff arrived to take quarters at the hospital.
In the construction of Concord Hospital1500 workmen were brought on site to construct the temporary pavilion type wards, operating theatres, an x-ray department, pharmacy, kitchen, boiler house, and living quarters to create a complete operational hospital.
In all, 34 wards were constructed in the pavilion section for patient accommodation. By the end of February 1941, the number of workers had increased to more than 2000, building the multistorey block and the two Nurses’ Homes. The multi-storey building was completed in 1942 and the architects, Stephenson and Turner, were awarded the Sulman Memorial Prize for merit in Architecture in 1946. The builders were F.T. Eastment & Son.With the cessation of World War II, The Repatriation Commission assumed full administration of the hospital on 19 May 1947 and takeover was completed on 14 December 1948.
The University of Sydney has been affiliated with Concord Hospital since the post war special intake of 1948. A Clinical School at Concord was opened in 1963. This partnership is the foundation of the hospital’s status as a centre of excellence in medical education.The Volunteer Service was established in 1968 with only a handful of volunteers. Today, there are more than 100 volunteers who generously donate their time and expertise to provide care and comfort for the patients of Concord Hospital.
The Volunteers provide a number of services for both patients and hospital staff and fundraising ventures such as the weekly markets and raffles. They continue to raise much-needed funds to purchase new equipment for the hospital.The completion of the Clinical Sciences Building in 1973 greatly facilitated both undergraduate and postgraduate training as well as providing a large lecture theatre for a variety of hospital functions and meetings.